Legislation and AgreementsApril 2006 the Government of Kosovo drafted a law on foreign investment (Law No. 02/L-33).
Protection of Foreign Investment
April 2006 the Government of Kosovo drafted a law on foreign investment (Law No. 02/L-33). According to this regulation, a foreign investor, defined as a physical person who is not a habitual resident of Kosovo, a business or other organization, entity or association established under a jurisdiction other than Kosovo, is to be governed by the principle of national treatment, meaning that foreign enterprises will be treated no less favorably than similar domestic enterprises.
In particular, the rights vested to a foreign investor are:
- Non-discriminatory treatment
- Constant protection and security
- Compensation in case of nationalization and expropriation, including payment of interest
- Compensation in case of violation of applicable law and international law attributable to Kosovo
- Freely transferable and otherwise unrestricted use of income
- Protection against retroactive application of laws
The Government of Kosovo has signed ten bilateral Agreements regarding investment promotion and protection with: USA (OPIC), Austria, Turkey, Albania, Belgium and Luxembourg, Macedonia, Croatia, Montenegro, Kuwait, Qatar.